The Casting Couch

The Casting Couch

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pilot Review: Sam I Am

Sam I AM
ABC PILOT

Christina Applegate, Barry Watson, Jennifer Esposito, and Jean Smart

Concept: A successful woman (Applegate) finds herself waking up after being in a coma for 8 days, having no recollection of the life before her. As she discovers who she used to be, she struggles to find herself again and be not who she was, but who she can be.

Review: Most Promising. I was skeptical about the show going in b/c it seemed very "lifetime movie" for my taste, but I have been converted. It's really good. Within the first 30 seconds, you just know that its going to be good. Its hilarious and warm and really a nice multi-faceted comedy, reminiscent of the feel you get from Friends.

Christina Applegate.
She's as cute as ever. Her comedic timing has not faltered and she has that slightly-neurotic hot chick thing going for her that works. While it only lasted one season, I remember really enjoying her in "Jesse" all those years ago, so I have full confidence that she can carry a series, and unlike "Jesse," "Sam" has some real depth to it.

Barry Watson. So I'll admit, my first response was "oh no, that guy is in this?" But he won me over. I hated him as poor-little-hot-guy in "What About Brian," but I've got to give him credit here. I found him to be extremely endearing and sweet. You really pull for him in this.

Jennifer Esposito. Again, I don't normally like her, but she works so well in this. I don't think I've ever seen her be so funny and the superficial best friend thing works really well for her here.

Jean Smart. As the "mom," she is an essential element that pulls this whole thing together and no one could have done it better. She was hilarious really, the perfect neurotic mom to the neurotic daughter. I loved her lots.

Honorable mentions go to Melissa McCarthey (Lorelei's best friend on Gilmore Girls), Tim Russ (the doorman here) and Kevin Dunn(the dad). All brought some great and interesting comedy elements to pepper the series.

No comments:

Google