The Casting Couch

The Casting Couch

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The "Je ne sais quoi!"

What makes someone a star? No one really knows. There are a ton of extremely talented actors out there that just don't make it. Many who have the whole package: talent, personality, looks, everything. But those factors alone don't make a star. Its not a mathematical equation. Rather, it's an indescribable quality that separates them from the crowd. Something that pops when they enter a room, open their mouths, or begin an audition. It can happen at any moment, but its then that, as a casting director, you believe in them and know that they're the one.

So what incited this little rant? Well, frankly I'm embarassed to admit it. It wasn't a fabulous audition or moving encounter with an actor. Actually, it was me watching a TERRIBLE tv show. Worse, a REALITY TV SHOW. That show is The CW's"Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll." Wait, wait, don't close that window to never return to my blog again. Let me explain. I watched this show for the first time at my friend's house last week. It's perfect Saturday morning hangover television, mindless and entertaining. Since I had gone through everything in my tivo tonight, I decided to channel surf and came across it again. I'd been sucked in. I couldn't help but notice that one of the contestants has that quality that I just mentioned, that indescribable star quality that separates her from the rest. 20-year-old CHELSEA from Cooper City, FL just has it. She's sweet, she's cute, she's honest, and there's just something about her that you love. This was only further validated by the fact that her dancing skills are about as polished as mine (that's bad), her usually perfect singing was a little off, and yet she still didn't get eliminated (She's now in the Top 3). The girl who did have to "hang up her boa" (oh yeah, its all so very dramatic) did everything right, sang perfectly, danced hard, and yet, she's gone. Chelsea stays. Having this quality doesn't necessarily mean that she's gonna win, but it certainly means that she'll be difficult to forget. Anyway, I know it hurts my credibility a bit, but I just felt like it parallelled the casting process really well and was worth sharing. Its not that Melissa S. did anything wrong, but that Chelsea just has something more, and its not always about the craft. Skills can be improved, but bottom line is, if people don't see something more in you, then you're gonna end up falling flat. Have a great night!

PS, here is a clip of her singing with another girl (who actually starts the song). You can see how the other girl just pales in comparison.

No comments:

Google