The Casting Couch

The Casting Couch

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Addison's Anatomy?

"Grey's Anatomy," which used to be one of my favorite shows, has started losing momentum as of late...in my humble opinion. For the most part, I still really like and respect the cast (Katherine Heigl is a goddess!). But, the plot became a little too chick-flicky for my taste so I started losing interest. I mean, am I really supposed to sympathize with Ellen Pompeo having two gorgeous guys being in love with her? Yeah, not so much. Still, props to its diverse cast (Sandra Oh is so on point, and how cute is Sara Ramirez?) and realistic characters (I love TR Knight's slightly dorky O'Malley, Justin Chambers' badboy wannabe Karev, and the motherly sarcasm of Chandra Wilson's Dr. Baily).

Anyway, the reason for this post is that ABC made quite the annoucement yesterday. A SPINOFF!! Starring none other than Kate Walsh (Dr. Addison Montgomery-Shepherd) who came in and stole all of Meredith Grey's (Ellen Pompeo) thunder. I'm a little skeptical because of the obvious stigma a spinoff can bring (Remember Joey?). Still, I'm much more drawn to Kate Walsh's character than Pompeo's anyday, so I'd be willing to give it a try. Kate is gorgeous and engaging, and doesn't have nearly as much of that annoying quality that repels me from Grey's in the first place. Still, what would the show be without some of the other figureheads of the cast. I'd survive without Isaiah Washington (not because I don't like his acting...but that whole homophobic business is not cool), Patrick Dempsey (yeah, he's hot...but not really all that interesting), and Ellen Pompeo (sorry people, I'm over the whining). However, a show without the others? I don't know if I'm really ready to give them up for good.

For more info, check out the "Wall Street Journal" article here!

**UPDATE**The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that TAYE DIGGS has been tapped to star opposite Walsh in this upcoming series, which will actually be a "backdoor pilot," beginning after a special 2-hour episode of Grey's.

**UPDATE 2**Tim Daly (The Nine/Storm of the Century) and Paul Adelstein (Prison Break/Intolerable Cruelty) have both joined the cast of the special 2-hour episode of Grey's, which is supposed to launch the spin-off.

No comments:

Google