The Casting Couch

The Casting Couch

Friday, August 3, 2007

Notes on Emmy Noms

So I've finally gotten around to delivering my notes on my Emmy picks like I promised. Sorry for the delay, but its been a turbulent week. I got to pitch a few ideas I had to the President of the network and some other high-ranking execs and it went really well. Hopefully it'll bring about some really great things in my not-so-distant future. Send me well-wishes, will ya? Haha, anyway, let's take a glance at my thoughts on the Emmy Noms this year:

OUTSTANDING COMEDY SERIES: This is my favorite category each year, and I think all the choices are really strong contenders for the most part...the only show I don't watch (and Love) regularly is "Two and a Half Men."
"Entourage," HBO--So good...such a great representation of the LA/hollywood lifestyle. Plus its so well-written and Jeremy Piven (while predominantly absent this season) really breathes an amazing life into this series along with the rest of the cast. I'm so happy to see it finally acknowledged here...it really merits some recognition.
"The Office," NBC--It deservingly brought home the win last year, and continues to be a standout comedy series. Everything Steve Carrell and Rain Wilson do on this show has me in stitches...I love it so much.
"30 Rock," NBC--Best breakout comedy of the year I think. Alec Baldwin is a comic genius, no question about it, and his performance is peppered with an amazing cast. I really think this series could have what it takes to win this.
"Two And A Half Men," CBS--Given I've only seen one episode, but I really don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe its just not my genre...
"Ugly Betty," ABC--This comedy really has that feel-good aspect going for it, and breakout star America Ferrera really shines. Again, another amazing cast with pretty exceptional writing.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES: My second favorite category...naturally. No real surprises here either.
"Boston Legal," --Really funny show, really well-written...I just don't really watch it.
"Grey’s Anatomy," ABC--I used to love this series, but somewhere in the middle of this season when I just couldn't take Ellen Pompeo for one more second, I bailed out. If it was enough to push me away from my favorite series, then its enough to keep it from winning...I'm sorry.
"Heroes," NBC--If you had asked me which series I thought should win the emmy before the last three episodes of the season, I would have picked this one hands down. I don't think I've ever been so crazy obsessed about a show before. But it let me down...badly...and I'm still pretty bitter.
"House," Fox--Another strong contender. Hugh Laurie really is an amazing actor, creating a character so human and so inhumane all at the same time. I love the cast and I love this show, but I'm not religious about it, so I place my vote elsewhere. I'd be happy if it won though, of course.
"The Sopranos," HBO--I think its another big Sopranos year. The Sopranos might have gone out in one controversial bang, but the magic this show creates is undeniable. The clear front runner in my opinion.

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY: Thank goodness Tony Shaloub wasn't nominated again this year, since he seems to have a monopoly on the category. Am I really the only one that doesn't see his appeal, AT ALL? There's something shady going on with the USA Network and the Emmy Committees in general...I'm just saying.
Ricky Gervais as Andy Millman, "Extras," HBO--Funny man, funny show. I get it.
Steve Carell as Michael Scott, "The Office," NBC--HILARIOUS man, who should have one hands down last year. I'd still be ecstatic to see him pull out the win this year too. I just love to see him as the "World's Best Boss."
Alec Baldwin as Jack Donaghy, "30 Rock," NBC--Seriously, I don't think I've ever felt like someone nailed a comedic character as well as Alec does as Jack Donaghy. Truly amazing performance each and every episode...I think he could even beat Carrell.
Charlie Sheen as Charlie Harper, "Two And A Half Men," CBS--yeah yeah yeah...okay. Not nearly up to par with the other nominees, but sure, he's a funny guy.

ACTRESS IN A COMEDY:
gotta love the power comedy females!
Felicity Huffman as Lynette Scavo, "Desperate Housewives," ABC--I do love her, but I've stopped watching Desperate completely so I don't even know what she did this season to warrant this award.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Christine Campbell, "The New Adventures Of Old Christine," CBS--To my surprise, she took this award last year. This show is actually pretty funny though, just not twice in a row funny.
Tina Fey as Liz Lemon, "30 Rock," NBC--She really does a great job on the show and as the writer, also, I'm even more impressed.
America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, "Ugly Betty," ABC--I really think she's gonna steal the show here... everyone just loves and adores her and her performance is just so organic.
Mary-Louise Parker as Nancy Botwin, "Weeds," Showtime--Another great actress, but not quite as standout as some of the others here.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY: Again with the "Two an a Half Men"...clearly I'm missing something here. All the others are clear choices for me though.
Kevin Dillon as Johnny Drama, "Entourage," HBO--Who would have though Kevin Dillon would be nominated for an Emmy? He got the role b/c he WAS the character...but he does a PHENOMENAL job with it really. I'm very happy to see him nominated.
Jeremy Piven as Ari Gold, "Entourage," HBO--Oh, Super-agent Ari Gold has created his own empire of superfans...Jeremy Piven is undeniably genius in this role, but he did win last year.
Neil Patrick Harris as Barney Stinson, "How I Met Your Mother," CBS--Neil is so great as womanizer Barney, and I do really enjoy this show.
Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute, "The Office," NBC--Oh my gosh, hands down my favorite tv character ever. Rainn is amazing amazing amazing.
Jon Cryer as Alan Harper, "Two And A Half Men," CBS--meh.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA

William Shatner as Denny Crane, "Boston Legal," ABC--I get it.
T.R. Knight as George, "Grey’s Anatomy," ABC--oh Grey's...you make me sad. I do love TR Knight though and am happy to see him here.
Masi Oka as Hiro Nakamura, "Heroes," NBC--Best breakout star of the year certainly. So adorable as clueless and determined Hiro on HEROES.
Michael Emerson as Ben, "Lost," ABC--Another amazing Lost surprise, NO ONE had any idea whether he was truthful or lying at first, and he maintained the same creepy sense of mystery throughout. What a surprising talent.
Terry O’Quinn as John Locke, "Lost," ABC--Another strong actor, but I'm not sure he really has what it takes to win this category either.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDYJaime Pressly as Joy Turner. "My Name Is Earl," NBC--Hilarious and really lovely actress... I'm a fan.
Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesly. "The Office," NBC--So easy to love, and that speech by the fire!! She easily won over my heart and my vote.
Holland Taylor as Evelyn Harper. "Two And A Half Men," CBS--Who? I need to watch this show more I think...
Conchata Ferrell as Berta. "Two And A Half Men," CBS--see above.
Vanessa Williams as Wilhelmina Slater. "Ugly Betty," ABC--Good casting, good performance...not outstanding for me.
Elizabeth Perkins as Celia Hodes, "Weeds," Showtime--Same as above.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Rachel Griffiths as Sarah Whedon, "Brothers & Sisters," ABC--I can't watch this show, I'm sorry. no opinion.
Katherine Heigl as Isobel "Izzie" Stevens, "Grey’s Anatomy," ABC--Her heart-wrenching performance at the end of the 2nd season stole my heart, and she's kept it ever since. I really hope she wins this.
Chandra Wilson as Dr. Bailey, "Grey’s Anatomy," ABC--nothing but love for this woman and her acting ability. She's great.
Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang, "Grey’s Anatomy," ABC--Always an amazing actress, but she didn't really grab me this season on Grey's.
Aida Turturro as Janice Soprano, "The Sopranos," HBO--Strong contender.
Lorraine Bracco as Dr. Jennifer Melfi, "The Sopranos," HBO--Another strong contender.
OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE IN A VARIETY OR MUSIC PROGRAM
Ellen Degeneres, "79th Annual Academy Awards," ABC--I put this category in here just so I could express my undying love for Ellen...what an amazing person and comedian. I want her to come back and host many many other awards shows!!
Stephen Colbert, "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central
Jon Stewart, "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart," Comedy Central
David Letterman, "Late Show With David Letterman," CBS
Tony Bennett, "Tony Bennett: An American Classic," NBC

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A DRAMA
"Battlestar Galactica: Occupation/Precipice," Ronald D. Moore, Sci Fi Channel--I frakking LOVE this show...I think its hands down the most under-rated show on tv and I really hope that it wins this category like it deserves!
"Lost: Through The Looking Glass," Damon Lindelof, Carlton Cuse, ABC
"The Sopranos: Kennedy And Heidi," Matthew Weiner, David Chase, HBO
"The Sopranos: The Second Coming," Terence Winter, HBO
"The Sopranos: Made In America," David Chase, HBO

CHOREOGRAPHY: Since my obsession with "So You Think You Can Dance" on FOX continues...you can just guess where my loyalties lie here...it was a tough call between the two, that's for sure.
"Dancing With The Stars: Episode 303A," ABC, Louis Van Amstel--Rock, my favy fave Monique was in this dance!!! Go Mo!! But DWTS is no SYTYCD...
"So You Think You Can Dance: Ramalama (Bang Bang)," Fox, Wade Robson--I just loved and adored this dance. It was so amazingly cool and innovative, and that's why I chose Wade's dance.
"So You Think You Can Dance: Calling You," Fox, Mia Michaels, Choreographer--Mia is such an amazing choreographer; nearly every single one of her pieces are so emotional and lovely, but this one really stood out from the rest.
"Tony Bennett: An American Classic, NBC," Rob Marshall, John DeLuca

No comments:

Google